Thursday, March 1, 2012

Dan DeLuca Hw 6


The article that I chose to read was entitled; “Why Pinterest Trumps Facebook at Social Commerce, For Now” which was written by Jeff Bercovici who works for Forbes Magazine. The article was about how Facebook has been surpassed by Pinterest as a social media site in regards to e-commerce. The article described how this new site was more like a so called “craft fair”. According to the article Facebook was more social then e-commerce related; “There was a lot of anticipation that Facebook would turn into a new destination, a store, a place where people would shop. But it was like trying to sell stuff to people while they’re hanging out with their friends at the bar”. Then towards the end of the article the author talks about how Facebook did surprise a lot of people with their ability to affect the market as well as they did; “Facebook dominates the display ad market and is projected to claim about 20% of the pie this year, according to eMarketer”. I found that this article was very interesting for a lot of different reasons. First off when I think of Facebook I agree with the article that it is somewhat like a bar. People, including myself use the social media site to socialize, and find out what’s going on with our friends lives. I can say that I have never gone onto Facebook to shop or looked at the ads. I personally always got annoyed when the ads popped up or when they would always be on the side. I thought that the fact about how Facebook was about 20% of the market was very interesting. When I always talked to my friends they also complained about the number of ads that are on Facebook. Finally I enjoyed the article because it educated me on this new website which I had never heard of. It was interesting to learn that there was a website that was devoted to ads and all kinds of vendors; “It’s more like a craft fair where people go to exhibit their wares, check out other vendors’ offerings, or do a bit of both”. I thought this article was very interesting and enjoyed reading it.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffbercovici/2012/02/21/why-pinterest-trumps-facebook-at-social-commerce-for-now/


No comments:

Post a Comment