Sunday, March 4, 2012

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffbercovici/2012/02/21/why-pinterest-trumps-facebook-at-social-commerce-for-now/ 

“Why Pinterest Trumps Facebook at Social Commerce, For Now” was the article I picked to read and blog about. This article was written by Jeff Bercovici of Forbes Magazine . The article discusses how Facebook will get surpassed by Pinterest as a higher well-being social media site for e-commerce. However, The article states that Facebook was more social then e-commerce as it quoted in the article that “There was a lot of anticipation that Facebook would turn into a new destination, a store, and a place where people would shop. But it was like trying to sell stuff to people while they’re hanging out with their friends at the bar” According to the article it also states that Pinterest is being called a “craft fair” Facebook did take a surprise turn to its consumers, with their ability to impact the market as well as it did. To me I feel Facebook is too focused on “creeping” and communicating with friends instead of being a tool do make money and advertise. People of Facebook aren’t online to look for products and this is where Pininterest will overlap Facebook. However, I was surprised with this statistic, “Facebook dominates the display ad market and is projected to claim about 20% of the pie this year, according to eMarketer”. I was shocked and wasn’t aware of the ability to be able to shop through Facebook, I have seen ads pop up here and there but I would never consider clicking on them for two reasons. Reason 1 fear of getting a virus and reason 2 is I only go on Facebook to keep up to date with my friends and not to shop. Reading this article made me aware of Pininterst because until I read this I was unaware of Pininterest and its capabilities. It’s great that there is a website devoted to ads as I don’t know any others that are. It being unique, Allows its consumers to find what they are looking with no hassle or distractions.  Im anxious to see how this company will do in time. With a blink of an eye it can grow to the likes of any other social media website out there. The skies the limit for Pininterest and I recommend checking it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment