Friday, March 2, 2012

hw 6

 
The article I chose to do is called “Why Pinterest Trumps Facebook at Social Commerce, For Now” (Forbes 2/21/12).  It is about how a company called Pinterest could possibly overtake Facebook in the e-commerce department.  I could definitely see this happening.  As discussed in class people who go on Facebook are pretty much only interested in seeing what their friends are up and don’t want to be bothered with advertisements.  I think advertisements on Facebook are sometimes spam so I never click on them.  Pinterest on the other hand is great for selling e-commerce.  Pinterest is a social network for merchandise instead of a social network for people like Facebook.  For this reason I think Facebook will always be a better and more efficient company, but for e-commerce I think Pinterest has the edge.  Consumers can go on Pinterest and get all the information they need on whatever product they want and can read reviews instead of surfing the web.   I think Facebook is aware of Pinterest and will be ready to take them on.  However Pinterest will definitely be hard competition.  I think they need to advertise a little more to get their name out there to seriously compete with Facebook.  I think Pinterest is a great company and can’t wait to see what they do in the future.  It is hard to compete with Facebook because of how popular it is, but I think Pinterest has a better chance than anybody in the e-commerce field.  It wouldn’t surprise me if they pass Facebook in the e-commerce in the near future because I think advertising for e-commerce is a weakness of Facebook.  Facebook never reached the point they were projected to for e-commerce because people on Facebook aren’t really looking to buy anything when they are logged on.  If they want to buy something and need information on it they would probably look it up in google.  Nobody uses Facebook to look up products.  I think Pinterest uses the same tools as Facebook but focuses on products, which could potentially bring in a lot of e-commerce sales.  

No comments:

Post a Comment