Sunday, April 8, 2012

HW #8


In the article RFID: A Prescription for Health Asset Tracking, which was posted by Ben Neupert talks about how technology is rapidly changing the world, with the  news breaking every day of new advances meant to propel us toward a safer, easier, more productive life. He states “that Healthcare is one of the industry’s most under siege by this surge in technology; hospitals and other medical facilities across the world are using advances such as Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) to improve patient security and care while strategically addressing strained budgets.” He has stated his opinion because he believes that this “simple technology is having a widespread impact within healthcare, where facilities are implementing these RFID systems to track equipment that tends to be more mobile.” He also states that “RFID can be a lifesaver, both literally and figuratively, as it enhances productivity through saved time and can allow staff to pinpoint the exact location of critical equipment when it's most needed.”

          
  I believe that security is More Than Privacy. Privacy gets all the consumer attention but the economic and military usage has just as many concerns in supply-chain RFID rogue scanning eavesdropping on reader’s databases. RFID systems needs to build in appropriate security that make RFID “work” effectively. This means achieving business advantages  that doesn’t cost much if it’s built in early Security aspects include tag privacy, authenticity; reader security; tag database security.  I also believe that in terms of using RFID for prescription health analysis tracking is something that should and shouldn’t be allowed because of the privacy issues. I am a person that believes that it isn’t right for someone to be able to know everything about me if they were able to get access to the database that I am part of. This is something that I feel like I would never want to have because one little mistake of someone inputting information on you into a database could screw up everything for you. As an example if I was allergic to a certain type of medicine but they didn’t put it in my information then I was prescribed it then I would be screwed by the system in a way.  Privacy and self security is something I feel is important to me as well as many other people around the world.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that security is more important than privacy. I think it is more important that RFID systems make sure that there are no hacking problems before I would worry about how my privacy is being invaded by companies that use RFID. My main concern would be that the information the company is getting would be compromised to unknown people that are just trying to hack RFID servers. As far as the privacy issue, I agree that some of this is a little much, and the fact that personal information that I might not want companies or people to have could be out there bothers me. I should be able to reveal the information I want available to companies especially when it comes to my health. The prescription I take should be a private matter, not something that data is collected on.

    ReplyDelete