Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Homework #3

FBI To Get More Cyber Crime Agents. December 20th, 2011Information Week

This article caught my eye right from the beginning because I am potentially interested in going into the FBI later in life. While reading the article I was very interested to see what the up and coming fields in the FBI were. Although they did request a minor budget increase for white collar crime and child exploitation cases the FBI's main focus this year is hiring more cybercrime investigators. The FBI is stressing how important the 13% pay increase, amounting to $166.5 million, for cyber investigators really is. As quoted "the FBI is in a unique position to counter cyber threats, as it is the only agency with the statutory authority, expertise, and ability to combine counterterrorism, counterintelligence, and criminal resources to neutralize, mitigate, and disrupt illegal computer-supported operations domestically." This quote really stuck with me while reading the article because it is now being brought to the average person’s attention that terrorism and counterintelligence issues are now being brought to the attention of people on the internet. The FBI would ideally like to hire about 14 new people to fill the positions with an intense training program that they would allot $5 million to. Currently the FBI has 1,000 specially trained cyber agents, analysts, and digital forensic examiners. Throughout this article they remained to the main subject stressing how the internet is going to become more and more of an issue and that the increase in pay now is still leaving them on the low level compared to where they would ideally like to be. This leaves me to thinking I should become an IT minor if I want any chance in the FBI! In class we talked about things such as people identities being stolen through channels when they may order something off of an insecure website that does not encrypt their information and that is an example that I was thinking of when reading this as well. It could be an issue for the U.S. government in a much bigger way though. If they are sharing important information through channels that are intercepted and the wrong person gets their hands of the files that could lead to major problems for the people of the U.S. as well.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Alyssa that’s so cool that you’re interested in working for the FBI. I am as well thinking about being a part of that organization. I as well find it interesting that the FBI is requesting to have more jobs in regards to cybercrime. I don’t find it to surprising that they are asking for more money though because I do feel that it’s probably more expensive to have the most up to date technology to watch cybercrimes. I thought that the quote you picked was very interesting as well. It does make sense in my opinion that they need to boost the number of people working on cybercrimes because since we have learned that the world is so “flat” it seems that now we could be a more of a threat with terrorism. I really liked your insight on the article and the feature of FBI employment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyssa I think going into the FBI is a very interesting job and you will enjoy it very much, you are always on the go and it is very courageous to do that! I was so shocked to read and be informed that cyber crime rates are rising so highly and are a main focus. That is a bad thing but almost a good thing for you because jobs will be rising so highly they will need so many new positions for hiring because of this cyber crime. I also think that it is a great idea for you to go into and IT minor so you can learn all about the internet and cyber crimes and how to protect it because like the article says it is rising so highly it could surpass terrorism. I think you did a great job re writing the article and I enjoyed reading your view on it.

    ReplyDelete