Monday, February 13, 2012

Just recently, Google has launched a massive ad campaign promoting online users online security and privacy.  Google is spending millions of dollars on ads which contain a link to what is called their “Good to know” site. The site suggests helpful tips to people about online security and how to safely transfer information over the internet. Many people believe the campaign is an attempt to repair Google’s mishap just a few year s before when they accidently revealed their users G-mail accounts on a Google Buzz social networking site. Personally, before the article, I did not realize how much of a problem that online security has become; having a G-mail account myself I’m surprised that I did not hear of the lawsuit with Google over the social networking site incident. Google’s campaign is more geared towards informing people about cookies, malware, and two step-authentication; security threats in which I did know about previous to this article. Google has had other instances in which they had been criticized by security experts and politicians for violating user’s rights, sometimes unlawfully. The same year of the Google social site mishap, Google admitted that their street view cameras had accidently obtained personnel information.  An FTC anti-trust investigation was launched when Google’s search displayed results from another Google search engine designed to display photos and blog posts. In my opinion, the whole social networking online security problems could be fixed if people didn’t display such information in the first place, granted it is a s shame that your privacy can’t be guaranteed on your own computer. For me this type of this is not an issue because i don’t have a face book or really anything online that I’m worried about people accessing, though I’m sure it will rapidly change as I get older and more personal information is dealt with via computers and the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment