Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Day 1

My name is Paul Trant. I am from Tewksbury, MA (next to Lowell, MA). It's a small town about 15-20 minutes north of Boston. Currently, I am a Senior, majoring in Hospitality Management. Throughout my college experience, I began at Franklin Pierce University, majoring in Criminal Justice. However, I transferred after one year and took my studies to Nichols College. Upon arriving at Nichols College, I changed my major to Accounting. At the end of my Junior year, I changed my major again for what will be the final time to Hospitality Management.

This past summer I worked at the Holiday Inn, located in Somerville MA. The time I spent there was a good learning experience for my major and gave me first real hands on experience. However my time was cut short there due to conflicts with management. After choosing to leave there, I applied to The Scoreboard Sports Bar and Grill, located in Woburn MA. One of my managers from Somerville, had recently transferred there and she set me up with the new job. I have been there since September, and couldn't ask for a better place to work at.

Some of my hobbies include sports, video-games, videography and music. While I was a resident on campus, I worked in the IT department. Working there gave me some exposure to different computer related problems, as well as introduced me to new software. I have recently began working on my car, which is a 2004 Hyundai Tiburon. The transmission is on it's way out, so I have been spending a significant amount of time trying to solve that problem.

I hope to gain a better understanding of how and why businesses use management information systems. After reading the article, you can see how significant computers and information systems are to running an effective business. Without computer information systems, data would have to be manually done through excel taking longer periods of time, when there is software with capabilities of doing it for you. By 2018, the estimated job projection is supposed to increase by 17%. Given how our economy has been suffering the past few years, these increases are crucial to our country getting out of this recession.

No comments:

Post a Comment